Truth be told, I didn’t believe in soul mates. Sure, I loved Disney movies and sappy love stories as much as the next hopeless romantic, but I knew that with there being billions of people in this world, everyone is bound to have at least several “someones” out there with which they could live “happily ever after”. What it really comes down to is God’s plan – He orchestrates every love story where 2 people with complimentary interests, desires, and/or personalities will meet at just the right time, the circumstances will be just right and they’ll fall in love. From that point on, it’s up to the couple to work through the ups and downs of life and to stay committed to each other, regardless of the differences that come up. They may meet or think someday that someone else is potentially better fitted for them, but it’s up to their character and integrity to stay focused and keep loving the one they are committed to under God’s perfect marriage covenant. Your “soul mate” is the one you said your vows to in the presence of God and anyone else, regardless of anyone else that may cross your path.
I think that believing this and choosing daily to selflessly love my husband alone would lead to a God-honoring marriage, however by the grace of God I have begun to really realize this year how perfectly He designed Curtis for me, and I for him. As we have walked down the difficult road of being apart and dealing with the challenges and the uncertainties of life, I’ve seen more and more how God used everything in our past, together and individually, to prepare us for each other and the trials we’d face. I realize that it was so much more than a coincidence that we met and eventually fell in love and decided to commit our lives to each other. I really, truly believe that there is no better match for either of us in the whole world.
It wasn’t anything huge or monumental that made me realize all this. It came to me one day, on just any ordinary day, when I was going about my daily habit of making lunch for Curtis before he came home. By the grace of God, I thought to myself about how much joy I experience by doing such simple tasks, and of the contentedness I experience every day. Of course there’s the big exciting things that happen to us, like traveling and adventures and puppies that we both enjoy, but when we find happiness and contentment together in cherishing our day to day life, that’s when I realize how truly special our love and commitment is. And while these thoughts may seem obvious or cliche, I think it’s important to remember and reflect on them now and again, to set my focus straight on what our love and marriage truly means.
By the grace of God, these past 3 years have been the best years ever, filled with so much love, joy, and living every day to the fullest. By the grace of God, we’ve been able to recognize the challenges that enter our lives as trials and have fought through them together, allowing God to bring us closer through them. And by the grace of God, we’ll continue doing so for many, many years to come, and continue to grow closer to each other and our Heavenly Father.
Thanks to everyone out there who has supported us and that has prayed for us. And a big thank you to our families for showering love on us, and for demonstrating the kind of love I’ve described for generation after generation. We’re excited to follow in your footsteps and learn to love each other and God like you do.
Highlights of Year #3!
- Surviving OCS & traveling through the Northeast and Colorado
- Moving to AZ & resuming our weekend hiking trips with friends
- Moving to SC & visiting family on our way
- Getting to know the South & experiencing life in a different part of the country
- Visiting Congaree, Savannah, the Golden Isles, St. Augustine, Crowder Mountain, Augusta, Abbeville, Upstate, Columbia, Asheville, and Wilmington
- Visits from both of our families
- Making our temporary house our “home” and working on becoming “domesticated” while dreaming of being homesteaders someday
- Best moment – hands down, being reunited after OCS!
- Favorite trip – Colorado last fall
- Time I won “wife of the year” – when I suggested we go see the new Star Wars at the movie theater, without any prompting or asking from Curtis #HumbleBrag
- Most looking forward to – Curtis’ upcoming graduation (16 days!!) and the adventures that will come after that!
Happy Anniversary my love. I love you more. XOXO